A match that never existed before. Racing Genk has simply taken the KV Oostende desperate measure. After more than half an hour, the visitors were already 0-3 ahead after goals by Ogbo, Eto’o and Munoz. With the handbrake on, Genk added one more after the break through Hrosovsky. Thorstvedt’s red card was the only damper at night. “We still have work to do, but this is a good start on the right track,” says Jenk trainer Bernd Stork.
KV Oostende – Racing Genk in a nutshell:
- Key moment: Racing Genk puts the match into a crucial fold after barely 12 minutes. Then Ostend is already facing a 0-2 deficit and after that she never gives the impression that she can turn the tide.
- man of the match: Yunya Ito remains one of the best players in Belgian football. The Japanese showed his class again tonight, in a crucial role. He made the 0-1 assist, made 0-2 and came close to the second goal on two occasions.
- distinct: In the back, there was a sieve tonight in Ostend and it wasn’t the first time this season. After 21 days of the match, the coastal team conceded no less than 43 goals. Only Zulte Waregem does worse with its 45 pieces.
Ostend makes water fast
After less than fifteen minutes of researching a 0-2 deficit, you couldn’t start a much worse match. Ostend hit his foot after just 6 minutes when he let Medley easily beat Eto’o at 16. The Japanese could offer Ogbo the early opening goal on a silver platter.
A few minutes later, Eto’o also scored a goal by himself. He was too fast for Ndika, offside, on a long ball from Artega and took Hubert as well. The dream start for Genk and the harbinger of a real first-half run. Ostend horribly weak stood around her and turned toward her.
Bongonda also wanted to join in on Genk’s fun, but first collided with Hubert and when he was able to pass the keeper, his goal was denied for offside. 0-3 stayed in the air and 10 minutes before the break it was time. Munoz hit the far post with an Arteaga cross and watched the ball disappear into the net through Hubert.
The goalkeeper’s bad luck, but he’s the only one on the level in Ostend. He proved it three times in the final stage of the first half. First he kept the broken Bongonda off goal, then he stood right on a shot from Thorstvedt and even when Ito appeared alone in front of him, he was able to frustrate 0-4.
Hrusovsky completes Genk’s party, Thorsvedt makes a false note
Ostend tried to make something of it in the second half, but there was no miraculous comeback. On the other hand, you should have been wary of more damage, even if your Jin didn’t insist strongly anymore. Thorstvedt came close to 0-4 on Ito’s corner kick, but once again Hubert distinguished himself with a good shock.
A teammate on the other side fought against sleeping, Vandevoordt put into action after a weak shot from McGeehan. Twenty minutes before the end, Genk was again dangerous on the corner. Thorstvedt headed the ball well to Ogbo. He had a second of the evening on his feet, but Wylin managed to convert his shot at the last minute away from the goal.
After a few minutes it was still 0-4. Munoz continued on the right and perfectly returned the ball to Hrosovsky from the backline. Shoot the ball into the far corner at once. Jenk’s party is complete, although Thorstvedt still makes a false note. The Norwegian went very boldly on Bätzner and immediately appeared in red.
Genk continued to choose to attack with only ten of them. He almost scored the second goal from Eto’o, the Japanese shot missed Medley. Paintsil also had an excellent opportunity at 0-5 with a pass from Mike Trésor, but Hubert just managed to avoid the loss figures for Ostend.
Blissin: “In Genk they ran so fast while we were running”
- Alexandre Plessin (Coach KV Oostende): “We played with a very young team today, and then you can lose duels or a bad pass. But the behavior on the field was not right. With an experienced team like Genk, I saw how they were always running back, while we were doing everything to run” So you just don’t bring in enough. If I don’t see the will to win in the boys, I’m in big trouble. But this is the situation now. These guys should hurt, but they even have to wake up. It’s not about Genk quality. If you play 5 matches against Genk, you will usually lose 4. With a little luck you will win, as we did in the first leg. So I have no problem saying that Genk was the better team, they should have won here 5-0 or 6-0. I hope we can learn lessons from this and that of course we can also recover injured players, maybe with 2 or 3 new players. “
- Bernd Stork (Coach Racing Genk): “The team did an excellent job, we also worked hard for this. From the first minute we were very focused and gave a little space to Ostend. We have the qualities and you can see that in the number of chances we gave. I’m very happy and I have to congratulate my team. We wanted to win the last game of the year and now we can start the new year with a positive feeling. We are on the right track, the players are also improving in their positions. We’re still running, but that’s a good start.”
“Subtly charming internet specialist. Avid writer. Friendly alcohol guru. Music ninja. Devoted social media fanatic.”