Prince Andrew is being sued in New York by Virginia Joffrey, 38, who accuses him of sexual assault. It could have happened when she was seventeen years old. It now appears that the Prince can no longer avoid this summons: Giuffre’s team has appealed to the British High Court and has promised to cooperate. If the parties cannot reach an agreement, the court is ready to take over the summons of the prince.
Discussion arose earlier this week during a preliminary phone hearing about whether Andrew had been formally notified of the lawsuit. Joffrey’s lawyers have complained that Andrew refuses to cooperate with attempts to subpoena him. According to the BBC, the letter was given to an agent at the Prince’s home in Windsor and they found that enough. However, Andrew’s lawyer said the rules were not adhered to.
During the respective telephone hearing, attorney Andrew Brettler – who is defending the Prince – said that Joffrey had already settled a separate lawsuit in 2009. By doing so, she would have agreed that she no longer had the right to sue Prince Andrew. “The prosecution has arranged an arrangement absolving the Duke of York and others from potential liability,” said the attorney, who was summoned from Los Angeles. “This is a baseless, unenforceable and potentially illegal lawsuit.”
The next hearing in the case is scheduled for October 13.
“Creator. Award-winning problem solver. Music evangelist. Incurable introvert.”