This is the most important news for Tuesday, January 2:
• An explosion in Beirut, possibly an Israeli attack, kills a second Hamas figure. Saleh al-Aruri was also considered the military leader of Hamas in the West Bank. Two other Hamas commanders were killed in the blast.
• Lebanese militant group Hezbollah has vowed revenge for the attack in Beirut. It is not yet clear what that retaliation will be. Hezbollah says its finger is on the 'trigger'.
• Shipping companies will no longer avoid the Red Sea. Attacks by Houthi rebels have forced Habakkuk-Lloyd and Maersk to continue sailing on other routes to Europe and Asia. Shipping company CMA CGM is doubling the price.
• Turkey says it has arrested dozens of Israeli spies. They may be targeting Hamas members in Turkey. Like Qatar and Lebanon, Turkey hosts senior Hamas leaders.
• Israel says it is cooperating with the International Court of Justice case in which South Africa is accused of genocide. In the case, Israel thinks it can prove that this is not the case.
Read the live blog from Tuesday January 2 here.
“Passionate analyst. Thinker. Devoted twitter evangelist. Wannabe music specialist.”