April 16, 2024

Taylor Daily Press

Complete News World

Two suspects suspected of attacking Belgium's Manchester City...

Two suspects suspected of attacking Belgium’s Manchester City…

The two suspects arrested by the coroner in connection with the assault of a 63-year-old Manchester City fan in the parking lot along the E40 motorway in Drongen remain in prison. So decided by the Council Chamber in Ghent on Monday.

The facts took place on the evening of Tuesday 19 October in the car park along the E40 motorway in the Ghent sub-community of Drongen. Guido de Pauw, a 63-year-old man from Nineveh, who wore a Manchester City scarf, parked his car in a motorway parking lot after the football match against Club Brugge.

According to the preliminary results of the investigation, the suspect took his football scarf into the gas station and took it outside with him. Then, the victim got into a confrontation with some of the suspects in the parking lot, and ended up on the ground after being physically assaulted. The victim was out of danger but had brain damage.

During the night from Tuesday to Wednesday, police arrested five people and appeared before the investigating judge in Ghent on Thursday. Three suspects were charged with negligence but were released on conditions including being barred from attending football matches. The investigating judge arrested the man who committed the aggression, a 23-year-old from Wittrain, and the man who took the scarf, a 25-year-old man from Arashut.

On Monday, the Council Chamber decided that the two men should remain in prison. It is not yet clear whether the man who committed the assault will appeal. According to his lawyer Jan de Winter, the 23-year-old feels sorry and cannot explain why he committed the facts.

See also  Romelu Lukaku may put the Italian Cup in his trophy cabinet after a powerful raid | sports


The 25-year-old from Aarschot will likely not appeal the decision, which means he will have to stay in prison for an additional month. “We will probably acquiesce in the House Chamber’s decision,” says his attorney, Jana Allard. “My client only took the scarf and did not physically touch the victim. He regretted what happened and never wanted the consequences. He hoped the victim would be fine. He asked bystanders to call emergency services, but then made the wrong decision to leave.

In the meantime, the investigation of the facts continues, but for the time being, the Public Prosecutor’s Office has not provided any further details.