The other five books on the shortlist are:
· north lane Written by Sri Lankan writer Anouk Arudpragasam, on the consequences of civil war in the northern part of Sri Lanka, where minority Tamils were brutally repressed by government forces in 2009.
· Nobody talks about this Written by American writer Patricia Lockwood, on how the internet and social media have completely enveloped us and how distance from the real world is increasing.
· men of wealth Written by British Somali writer Nadia Mohamed. Based on true events from 1952, it tells the story of a Somali sailor who was convicted in Wales after false accusations and ultimately executed: he is the last convict to be hanged in Cardiff.
· confused American writer Richard Powers. The novel tells the story of an astrobiologist who created a simulation of life on planets outside our solar system. He is also the only father of a nine-year-old son who suffers from a mental disorder and exhibits challenging behaviour. With much love and in his own way – without medication – he tries to arm his son for a difficult future.
· big circle by American writer Maggie Shipstead. It tells the story of Marianne Graves, a (fictional) aviation pioneer, who vanished from radar in 1950 while trying to fly from pole to pole around the world.
“Friendly communicator. Music trailblazer. Internet maven. Twitter buff. Social mediaholic.”