Standard was the last to qualify for the Belgian Cup quarter-finals. Only in overtime could he score recovery goals against Beerchot.
Standard Goals – Biershot
- 97′ Jackson Mollica (1-0)
- 119′ Merville Bocadie (2-0)
Standard – Bearshot in a nutshell:
- important moment: At the start of the first overtime period, Standard coach Elsner puts Mulika between the lines. The Congolese only need a few minutes to head Standard into the lead and press Berchot completely to death.
- man of the match: Beerchot fought for what he was worth, but he always came across the excellent Laurent Hinkennet. The goalkeeper proved to be the perfect replacement for Arnaud Bodart tonight.
- Special: Beerschot was promoted to the highest level last season, but since then he has not been able to win once in 4 head-to-heads with Standard. In fact, the rats didn’t score a single goal in those four games.
Fun start without goals
After the justified 3-1 defeat at Gelamco Arena, coach Luca Elsner decided to change his team. Mehdi Karsella got a starting point for the first time this season. The Moroccan dodger was also noticed in the first quarter, but he was unable to control the match as usual.
Standard whistled for the first time early on, but a header from Klaus was denied for offside. On the other hand, Sumari hit a cross pass from Kaiseido. Just before the break, Somare tried again, this time with Henkinet showing off a kind reaction.
There were no more chances, so both teams went to rest after a beautiful goalless first half. It was an even better second half.
The standard double bike kick goes wrong twice
Holzhauser forgets to score
After the break, Bierchut was eager to enforce the law, but he lacked competence. The lightning-fast Sumari searched well for depth, but the escape shot was within a meter of Hinkennet’s goal.
After that, the Austrian Raphael Holzhauser took the leading role. First he hit a free kick from an acute angle at the post, and after a few minutes he faced Hinkennet head-on. The playmaker went on for too long and then fired straight at Henkinet without any conviction.
On the flip side, Noë Dussenne could also unlock the score, and the buffalo punch was removed from the line by Pietermaat. In the final, substitutes Dom and Tapsoba missed some chances.
Holzhauser misses the unfathomable
Golden substitute Molika decides the match
So extensions, but Birchot was clearly one of his best powers. Elsner could have secured a solid win with Jackson Mulika and the Congolese decided the match in the end.
Just a few minutes later a cross header from Rafia bypassing Fanamel. Berechot coach Torrente also threw young striker Mucuna, but a return is no longer possible.
Standard played the match as a grown-up and eventually made it 2-0 to Mollica and Boukkady with one-two matches. The standard continues to shift, Beerschot can now focus fully on the rescue.
Standard kicks twice in overtime
“Total coffee specialist. Hardcore reader. Incurable music scholar. Web guru. Freelance troublemaker. Problem solver. Travel trailblazer.”