June 14, 2024

Taylor Daily Press

Complete News World

A juvenile judge decides the fate of a 98-year-old SS camp guard in Germany

A juvenile judge decides the fate of a 98-year-old SS camp guard in Germany

The Public Prosecution did not announce the name of the person involved. Attorney Thomas Hauberger said in a press release that he “collaborated in the brutal and treacherous murder of thousands of prisoners.” The crimes are said to have been committed between July 1943 and February 1945 at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, north of Berlin.

The suspect underwent psychological evaluation last year. It was determined that he was at least partially able to attend trial.

Since the 2011 conviction of John Demjanjuk, Germany has intensified its prosecution of former SS camp guards. Because these suspects are already of advanced age, this does not always lead to conviction or imprisonment. Sometimes the case is dropped due to the suspect’s poor health, and sometimes they die before they can be sentenced.

The biggest suspect so far is Joseph Schutz. He was sentenced last year at the age of 101 to five years in prison for his role in the murder of at least 3,500 prisoners in Sachsenhausen. He appealed the ruling, but died in April at the age of 102 before the judge could rule on the case.

See also  Meloni describes the French response to the Ocean Vikings as "unjustified and incomprehensible" | Abroad