When Harry and Meghan made the decision to emigrate to the United States three years ago, they stopped performing their royal duties. As a result, they lost their automatic police security, which was funded by British taxpayers. Home Secretary Norman Baker said at the time: “We should not be paying for the security of Andrew, Harry or any other member of the Royal Family who is not carrying out their public duties.” Since then, Prince Harry has filed several lawsuits against the Home Office. At the very least, he demands security during his visits to the UK. The prince says it is unsafe for him and his family to visit the UK without police protection.
On Tuesday, the High Court in London heard from Harry’s lawyers that the prince had been “subjected to unfair treatment” when his security measures were reduced. They claim that the Home Office did not communicate sufficiently transparently about the decision and that the usual risk analysis was not carried out.
The ministry says Harry received “tailored” treatment appropriate to the unique circumstances. Moreover, Harry can still rely on the necessary security when he visits his home country, it seems. However, his level will be tailored to the expected risks, as is the case with other high-level visitors. Now that Harry is no longer a “working member” of the royal family and spends most of his time abroad, his position has “changed fundamentally,” according to ministry lawyers. “In those circumstances, security is not provided on the same basis as before.”
The current session continues until Thursday. However, the judge’s decision is not expected to be issued until later.
“Creator. Award-winning problem solver. Music evangelist. Incurable introvert.”