When choosing a new iPhone, screen size plays an important role. A larger screen has many advantages: it is easier to read and has more screen real estate. But it also has a number of disadvantages and there are technical differences. We help you with your choice by explaining the considerations.
Current iPhone screen sizes
In recent years, Apple has released a series of fixed screen sizes. This involves measuring diagonally from one corner to another:
Previous devices had screen sizes of 5.5 inches, 5.8 inches, and 6.5 inches. For now, 6.1-inch is the standard and you can move up to 6.7-inch models for larger screen sizes. But this too is about to change.
Future iPhone screen sizes
For the iPhone 16, larger screen sizes of 6.3 inches and 6.9 inches are mentioned, but this does not apply to all models. Then the lineup will look like this:
Therefore there will be greater variation in screen sizes. Furthermore, there has been talk for years about a foldable or foldable iPhone screen, which could be much larger.
Benefits of a smaller iPhone screen
If you choose a smaller 4.7-inch, 5.4-inch, or 6.1-inch iPhone screen, you'll enjoy the following benefits:
- The device fits in your pocket more easily.
- Small appliances are often cheaper.
- Small screens often have a higher pixel density (text on screen appears sharper).
- A smaller device can be easily operated with one hand, and your thumb can reach all the buttons on the screen.
- Standard sized devices are often more popular, allowing you to purchase more accessories, for example.
- Standard-sized appliances are easier to sell because they are in greater demand.
There are also some disadvantages. For example, battery life is not as good as with larger screen devices. The screen bezels also play a role: the 5.4-inch iPhone mini models are much smaller than the 4.7-inch iPhone SE models. This is because the screen bezels on smaller devices are much narrower and the Touch ID button at the bottom of the screen is missing, so better use can be made of the front.
Features of the iPhone's large screen
If you choose the iPhone screen size of 6.7 inches and its possible future size is 6.9 inches, it has the following advantages:
- More information can be placed on a larger screen.
- Text is easier to read, especially if you set large fonts. This saves the need for reading glasses.
- Devices with larger displays also often have higher battery capacity and longer runtime.
- Larger devices sometimes have additional features, like the 5x zoom on the iPhone 15 Pro Max camera.
However, a larger iPhone is not for everyone, because such a large device may be less comfortable to hold, is more expensive and does not always fit in your pocket. However, something has been done about that in the iPhone 15 Pro models: the edges are slightly rounded, so you can hold the larger model a little better.
Are you ready to choose the iPhone that's right for you? So, check out our overview of buying a new iPhone, where you'll see a summary of all current devices!